Requirements For Church Membership
For one to be accepted as a member of the church, one must satisfy the following:
1. He/She must have experienced a genuine conversion and have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. This experience is also referred to as the new birth. Therefore, only a person who has been saved or born again can become a member of the church.
2. He/she must be a baptized believer by immersion. This means the person was baptized following his/her conversion. Since we believe that faith should come before baptism, it means that those who are born again but had baptism prior to their conversion, we require of them to be baptized.
3. A letter of transfer from a Baptist Church or a church with similar beliefs in good standing with the church will be accepted for membership.
4. A temporary resident in Malawi may be received as an associate member if for valid reasons the individual does not want to transfer his/her membership from the church to which he will return. Baptism by immersion will not be required of associate members.
Steps to Becoming a Member
1. A person should apply for membership by filling Membership Forms and submitting them to the leadership
2. Every applicant for membership should join the New Member’s Class which will be announced in the service and in the church bulletin.
3. Every applicant for membership should undergo the new member’s class so that he/she understands who we are as a church, where we are coming from, where we are and where we are going. The scripture says: How can two walk together unless they have agreed (Amos 3:3). We believe that it is really important that before a person commits himself to church membership he/she understands the commitment.
4. Upon faithful attendance of the New Member’s Class the person shall be presented for acceptance of membership
Termination of Membership
Membership may be terminated for any of the following reasons:
1. A member leaves and unites with another church without informing his/her church.
2. A member who habitually violates the spirit of the Church Covenant despite being prayerfully and patiently dealt with.
3. A member persisting and promoting teaching that is not biblical despite having been told to stop.
4. A member who has been absent from church for a period for 3 months without communication in any way with the church.
Responsibilities and Expectations of Members
Every member of the church is expected to be and to do the following:
1. Faithful attendance of church worship services in order to worship, experience fellowship, to receive ministry and to serve. This includes coming early and regularly to all scheduled programs of the church like worship services, Lord’s supper, baptismal services, Bible Studies, Cell Group meetings, prayer meetings, business meetings etc.
2. To live an exemplary life that is honouring to God and his church. The life of Christians must be patterned after Christ.
3. To use the gifts and abilities God has given to him/her to the glory of God and the building up of God’s people. Such gifts and abilities may include singing, administration, teaching, leadership etc
4. To witness for Christ within the church and outside the church
5. To be a faithful steward of all that God has given and entrusted him/her with. This includes regular giving of tithes (one tenth of whatever God has given to you) and offerings to God.
6. To pray for the ministry and all ministers of the church
7. To support and encourage other members during times of sickness, distress and death but also during times of celebration like weddings, births, graduation etc
8. To take personal responsibility for growth by doing all the above including reading of scripture and Christian books, listening to messages and